A newer concept is that of "Wellness" which refers to optimal health and vitality - not just physically but emotionally and spiritually. This is a possibility if one is willing to take responsibility or their own health instead of placing that responsibility on others.
In my quest for overall wellness, I have discovered several areas that we need to focus on to create balance in our life:
- Spiritual Wellness/Emotional Wellness: these two, in my opinion, overlap. As a believer, the Word of God brings great comfort and gives you principles to govern yourself therefore bringing joy and purpose in life. In turn, mental wellness is achieved through these principles as you meditate on them. This leads to the ability to love, get rid of negative emotions and forgive which are all very healing....."As a man thinks in his heart so is he" Proverbs 23:7
- Mental Wellness: gives you opportunity to challenge your mind through continuing education through life or mastering new skills. Mental stimulation improves brain function and actually protects against cognitive decline. The saying "use it or lose it" is very true!
- Physical Wellness: includes good nutritional practices, exercise and using natural means to heal the body such as herbs when the body is sick. Even if not sick, the use of herbs for optimum physical wellness is important such as Gotu Kola, Astragalus or Ashwagandha. (look below for uses of these herbs)
- Interpersonal Wellness: God created us for community and acquiring and upholding healthy relationships is a huge factor in our physical and emotional health. Think of when you've been upset with someone - did you even feel like eating?
- Environmental Wellness: allows one to have a healthy environment free of toxins. One way to achieve this at home is by using non-toxic cleaners such as Shaklee's line of green cleaning products. They are very economical and work great! I love "Scour off" - works great in the bathroom and the kitchen! Shaklee's BasicH has a million uses and is a staple in our home.
Of course, I'm sure there are more areas to achieve wellness in our life but those are the ones I wanted to focus on. There are times, as I mentioned above, that you need to add herbs to help achieve your wellness goals.
Here are some herbs for everyday use -
Gotu Kola: is considered a rejuvenating herb and has been used to increase vitality, prolong life and enhance learning and memory
Astragalus: is a general immune system tonic and promotes endurance and stamina
Ashwagandha: considered an adaptogenic herb that promotes vitality and vigor
If you're having trouble sleeping, Valerian extract is a relaxing sedative and reduces stress, anxiety, nervousness and irritability.
St. John's Wort is also good as a mild sedative and antidepressant.
Believe it or not, Catnip is not just for cats. It's also mild sedative and is used as a calming formula especially for children.
Basically, wellness is more than just popping a pill and hoping for the best. We are a triune being and with so many others factors affecting our health, achieving wellness is an everyday task but with God's help, we can overcome!
Please let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions, I'd love to hear from you! =D
"Our soul waits for the Lord, He is our help and our shield...." Psalm 33:20