Is there no Balm in Gilead?

                          

As I was doing a medical interpretation the other day, I had to interpret what the nurse was telling the patient about her wound/surgery and the Derma-Bond on her skin. I started thinking about Derma-Bond and what it does.....

Derma-Bond is a medical adhesive. It's used to close sutures and form a VERY STRONG bond to keep the wound closed. It remains on the skin and just kind washes off on it's own or disintegrates into the skin - I have no idea. I just know that you don't try to remove it. It just goes away. I had that type of "medical glue" after my surgery as well. I thought, "Geez, this big 'ole wound and I'm being kept together by a glue????" Wow.

That got me thinking about the glue and how strong it is. It's invisible yet solid. Strong.  Hmm....so then I started thinking about a glue or "wound sealer" for our soul. The Balm of Gilead came to my mind.

The Balm of Gilead was originally a healing compound (a balm) made from the resinous gum of a bush which grew plentifully in the area of Gilead. This compound was exported widely. This balm is mentioned several times in the Bible. A balm is an ointment, a medicated topical preparation for application to the skin. The Balm of Gilead was, therefore, a high-quality ointment with healing properties.

  1. This land called Gilead was famous for it's spices, ointments and herbal remedies. The merchants to whom Joseph was sold, "had come from Gilead with camels bearing spices, balm, and myrrh....on their way to carry them to Egypt". 
  2. Is there no Balm in Gilead?
    Is no physician there?
    Why then is there no recovery
    For the health of the daughter of my people?
    (Jer 8:21-22)
As I pondered all this, I came to the conclusion that there is a balm for my wounded soul.  There is a great physician and His derma-bond is better than anything else that I can try to use to heal my wounded soul. He not only wants to bring physical healing but also wants to restore my mourning into dancing and heal my wounded heart & emotions.

There is a balm in Gilead
To make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead
To heal the sin sick soul.
Jesus is truly the "balm of Gilead" for all the hurting people in the world. His blood is the balm that heals the deepest wounds of our sin. When we have fallen hard, He lifts us up and restores our soul.

JESUS is the Derma-Bond for our soul.  He specializes in making the wounded WHOLE. 
He's invisible, yet SOLID and STRONG. 

Let's see what my next interpretation makes me ponder...... Have a blessed day! :)




Comments

Popular Posts